Skip to main content

Power. Music. Electric Revival.

I'm sticking by the whole "just get your running clothes on" and getting out the door becomes easy. It's the first step and the hardest but once they are on you might as well go. Today that was what did it for me. It also caused me to realize that I have the crappiest work out gear and that an 80's-aerobics-enthusiast would even turn their nose up at my selection. If I just go get some stuff that fits properly and feels good that could help big time. My muffin top doesn't need any extra assistance from a pair of spandex that only a tween volleyball player should wear. Laying on the couch thinking about getting dressed scares me (commence whiny voice) "how long it's going to take and how hard it's going to be?", but once I have my gear on - I seem to stop over-thinking it and tell myself to just go - do your best. Everything is easier once you just get going. It's like that even with writing my blog. Usually, when I sit down to write I think 'oh man, how am I going to start this?' It just flows once I get typing but I think there is this misconception that things need to start out perfectly in order to be good. Not so, I think most things start out completely messy (with some end result in mind) but we won't really know exactly how things take shape until we start. Even then, there are always new ideas or side ventures that pop up. I just have to keep my goal in check.

When I am not being hard on myself I believe that I'm being complacent or lazy. That in order to make a change I have to convince myself that things are really bad. When I start being nicer to myself I can feel the panic set in. "Oh no, if I am not hard on myself then what will motivate me to get out the door? I will just become comfortable where I am and then I will think it's ok, or not so bad to eat chips!". Amazing how fast those thoughts turn into thought-arguments. It sort of reminds me of organized sport coaching tactics. Like yelling at us/fear based motivation is good for anyone? I still yell at myself like that and not only does it get me no where but it's pretty friggen draining. Running causes some anxiety for me especially, because I start having what I can only imagine bad acid trip flashbacks are like, regarding cross country running meets at Elm Street school. I once peed my pants during a race because I had to go so badly and I didn't want to stop in the bushes in fear of losing the lead!! True story. Important Note: As a kid it's common to misplace encouragement with pressure. "If I lose will they still be proud of me"..."I have to do well for mom and dad to see that I am good at this."..."If I win I will liked by everyone!" Etc, etc, etc.

Today I am stumped as to how I can stop the body vs mind games while I'm running. My mind seems to convince my body that it's too tired and that it needs a 'walk break'. I don't really think this is always the case but I'm pretty convincing. Once I stop to walk it sends an even stronger message from my body back to mind that we are tired and can just walk whenever we start to feel tired, and so it begins. The walk run battle of the wills. I would love some suggestions as to how to overcome the mind chatter (letting your mind take over your pace). Music does help, singing the lyrics, focusing on the background beat and running to it or even remembering where I was when I first heard the song - can be helpful (Bombs over Bagdad made me laugh today - 1999 baseketball trips!)
So write out what helps you - if you've been able to overcome this, run a marathon or half marathon tell me how you got there! I wanna know your secrets...

Comments

  1. Pick a language you don't mind the sound of, can pronounce, but don't understand. Memorize, don't learn, how to speak a passage from something, it can be anything really, as long as you don't understand it. Keep saying it in your head while you're running, it'll kill all the chatter and not flood your mind, because it has no context.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mind chatter = rotten potatoes stinkin fish...mind chatter gone

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How quick are you gonna get up?

So I'm running tonight - and it's going fairly well until I look down at my shadow and it resembles a bouncing cadillac with a biiiiiiiig trunk. Ba-ba-ba-boing goes my cadill-ass. At first I thought I was mistaken, that isn't my shadow...or at least it's exaggerating the gravity of the situation here. Basically, I had a decision to make, feel sorry for my big trunk or get motivated. Every time I wanted to stop and walk, I just checked in with my shadow and it was on like donkey kong (do people still say that?). Thank goodness I had my headphones on, because in between songs all I could hear was some awful panting that sounding like an animal being sacrificed. I pretended it wasn't me and kept rhythmically running to some old Mariah Carey songs. So, I realized thinking of all the things I am thankful for would help me keep my mind off of the large wall I was about to hit, metaphorically speaking. At first I was thankful for my feet, my shoes that are so comfy, runni

Forgive-mess...

This blog has brought up a lot of emotion for me and I had to take some time to work through it. During a very intense conversation with Danny, I came to realize that because I have always put other people first, I put myself last and I eat to recover. I eat because it is the only thing (I think) that I can control completely. By control I mean, whenever I want it, it's there. Whatever I want I can have. I can make bad decisions and beat myself up over it as much as I want. I have been abusing myself with food. This is a really hard realization to come to and once I realized it I almost went further into weight debt. I sunk a little deeper, just enough to scare myself. I saw some pictures of myself from a birthday party and didn't even recognize myself. I know that people say this all the time just before they start making change and I can see why now. I have been using it to be hurtful to myself. Mask what's really going on, and almost wear a disguise. Another way to look

The adventures of naked face Grace!!

I'm getting use to not wearing makeup on a day to day basis now but to go to a special event where I didn't know many people - of all women - was a total new leap outside my comfort zone. I was really nervous. To add insult to what I felt was injury, my armpits were sweating so much I'm pretty sure my shirt was soaked. I then had to realize that sweat is natural and normal and that this too was "no big deal". Wow did I feel naked, exposed and vulnerable. I had to dig sooooo deep for confidence. I was really surprised by my feelings of inferiority. No one was making me feel this way, no one was treating me like I was treating myself. I had built up these standards and it was time to tear them down. At first I wanted to tell people that I was not wearing makeup on purpose. In the very least I wanted to make up excuses for myself like "Gosh! I am just so tired!" But I wasn't tired at all so why would I tell a story that wasn't true? I pulled o