Skip to main content

Getting back to me.

Wow, picking a title for a blog is like picking a name for your first born child!
I'm starting this particular blog so that people can virtually accompany me on my journey to better health. To put it bluntly, I'm trying to get back to my pre-baby weight and then some. I know myself well enough to know that if people are encouraging me and checking in on my progress that it will help me stay motivated towards my goal. Any tips, words of encouragement, good work out songs or "how is it going" messages are very much welcomed.

There are so many reasons I want to work out. To say it's for optimal health, for me, would be only half the story. I want to look good in those jeans! The ones I have stored in the back of my closest out of sight so they don't nag me with with their taunts "why don't you try us on? Oh...because you know we don't fit...that's right, you gave up on us...might as well give us away at the next clothing swap to someone who cares..." Well enough is enough! I love those jeans, I might have been 21 when I bought them...but continuing to tell myself I will never again have the body of a 21 year old, can die with the rest of my lame excuses. I can get rid of this mom-bum, anything is possible!
So amongst those excuses (and we'll just get them out in the open) are - 1) I had twins, huge twins...my body just won't ever look fit again, no matter what I do 2) I have a career and no time between being a mom and running a business to exercise 3) I'd rather use my spare time to nap, or go on facebook (wow, I know) 4) It gets dark early now, I missed my chance to get out and run or walk...the list goes on.
I know that I can MAKE time to take care of my body, I have to, because if I don't I get sad and tired for no apparent reason and then the things I love, like work and my family become a great difficulty in less than optimal situations. I'm tired of staring at my closet likes it's an opponent rather than a friend. I can do this, because as much as I love sweaters, I don't want to have to put one on over EVERY outfit just to hide my back fat because my bra is too tight. I can do this, because I love myself enough to feel good in my own body. I can do this because I like sexy underwear and when I eat that bag of chips, my bum starts swallowing my panties whole. No one likes that feeling - "hey these use to actually cover my a**, now I can't even find a pinch of fabric to de-wedgie." Thongs have become a thing of the past, and I mean, you at least want the option don't you? I do. I want to be able to chose my outfits again, not the other way around.

So this is the week, the week that I stop making excuses. The week that I put a long term goal over the short term gratifications, because none of them make me feel good. I've realized (with the help of my clients) how unbelievable it feels to set out on a path to achievement and continue climbing that mountain to greater heights. Baby steps, but steps none the less and moving forward feels damn good. You know what I'm talking about...
Most importantly, I am realizing that as a mother I don't often put myself first, sometimes I don't even get in the rankings. I feel obligated to feel guilty or selfish if I do think about my needs, but upon further investigation I don't think that has to be the case. I think the complete opposite must be true. In order to be happy (as a person, a mother, a partner, a friend, a business owner) we need to feel good about who we are. That we value ourselves by taking the time to take care of ourselves. Time to de-stress. Because that really is what working out is, time to clear your mind, sweat it out and start fresh.

Comments

  1. Well you are off to a good start!!! I feel the same way! and have the same excuses, but I have learned to set small goals for myself... really small... but its a start. I found some short 10-12 min work out video's online and that is a good start to me, if you can find 10 mins a day, some days you can do it more than once. And drink more water... no pop and juice, and don't eat cookies for breakfast... oh wait, that's me =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you baby! I'm right there with you, 3 whole days without coke... and thats coca-cola for all those who think I might be a drug sniffer!

    We'll be healthy together!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How quick are you gonna get up?

So I'm running tonight - and it's going fairly well until I look down at my shadow and it resembles a bouncing cadillac with a biiiiiiiig trunk. Ba-ba-ba-boing goes my cadill-ass. At first I thought I was mistaken, that isn't my shadow...or at least it's exaggerating the gravity of the situation here. Basically, I had a decision to make, feel sorry for my big trunk or get motivated. Every time I wanted to stop and walk, I just checked in with my shadow and it was on like donkey kong (do people still say that?). Thank goodness I had my headphones on, because in between songs all I could hear was some awful panting that sounding like an animal being sacrificed. I pretended it wasn't me and kept rhythmically running to some old Mariah Carey songs. So, I realized thinking of all the things I am thankful for would help me keep my mind off of the large wall I was about to hit, metaphorically speaking. At first I was thankful for my feet, my shoes that are so comfy, runni

Forgive-mess...

This blog has brought up a lot of emotion for me and I had to take some time to work through it. During a very intense conversation with Danny, I came to realize that because I have always put other people first, I put myself last and I eat to recover. I eat because it is the only thing (I think) that I can control completely. By control I mean, whenever I want it, it's there. Whatever I want I can have. I can make bad decisions and beat myself up over it as much as I want. I have been abusing myself with food. This is a really hard realization to come to and once I realized it I almost went further into weight debt. I sunk a little deeper, just enough to scare myself. I saw some pictures of myself from a birthday party and didn't even recognize myself. I know that people say this all the time just before they start making change and I can see why now. I have been using it to be hurtful to myself. Mask what's really going on, and almost wear a disguise. Another way to look

The adventures of naked face Grace!!

I'm getting use to not wearing makeup on a day to day basis now but to go to a special event where I didn't know many people - of all women - was a total new leap outside my comfort zone. I was really nervous. To add insult to what I felt was injury, my armpits were sweating so much I'm pretty sure my shirt was soaked. I then had to realize that sweat is natural and normal and that this too was "no big deal". Wow did I feel naked, exposed and vulnerable. I had to dig sooooo deep for confidence. I was really surprised by my feelings of inferiority. No one was making me feel this way, no one was treating me like I was treating myself. I had built up these standards and it was time to tear them down. At first I wanted to tell people that I was not wearing makeup on purpose. In the very least I wanted to make up excuses for myself like "Gosh! I am just so tired!" But I wasn't tired at all so why would I tell a story that wasn't true? I pulled o