Skip to main content

A bigger me is a more protected, safer, less intimate me.


In my struggle to loose weight, even through crossfit and a much better diet, my mind has been blown by my self awareness towards: My fear of intimacy. It's directly related to my weight gain/retention. "Grace afraid of intimacy? She spills her guts to anyone who will listen! She doesn't get embarrassed or hold back. She speaks her mind and says whatever she feels the urge to say." Well my friends that is not intimacy for me. Read on.

One definition of intimacy (keeping in mind it's not always sex) is "closeness: a feeling of being intimate and belonging together".

It might sound cliche, or cheesy but over the last week or so I have a profound realization - an epiphany really, that dawned on me during a conversation with my friend Carly. I won't go into too much personal detail but we were discussing feeling "scared" of closeness, of commitment, expectations and essentially, intimacy.

I felt a pretty strong sinking feeling in my gut that it went a lot deeper than what we were initially talking about and began self-observing over the course of the week to follow. I noticed Danny reaching out to me, as I kept saying I wanted to be closer and more connected but as soon as he would make an attempt I would slap down his outstretched hand. A wake-up-call-slap-in-the-face occurred when he came to to me and said "I am making an effort to change the things you have asked me to change, to be close...and you keep raising the bar, it's unattainable Grace, so I need you to decide. Do you want this or not?" I was left sitting in the truck with the sting of truth.
I realized in that moment that I do want "this" and that I can't continue to ask for something that I won't even allow to exist in my experience. Needless to say, I need to walk to walk. If I want closeness, I need to stop chasing it down and then beating it off with a wooden stick. I've been constantly pursuing something I couldn't even handle...for the last umpteen years of my life.
How does this tie in with my journey to weedom? Interestingly enough, I realized that as my relationship(s) grow and become more intense, not just with Danny but with people around me (friends, family, clients) I feel more and more uncomfortable (or scared) and a greater need to protect myself. More seems to be at stake. When my the importance of the closeness goes up, so does my weight gain. In other words...I have been holding on to the weight to avoid closeness. If I am self-conscious, I have a reason to hold back, to think I am unloveable and keep my distance. Being intimate (close or firmly bonded) with someone is a pretty large investment into vulnerability and in my opinion risk. What if they don't love me, all of me? What if they leave?

In order for me to allow my true self to shine through and drop the weight forever I need to be comfortable with the woman underneath. I need to let go of the fears that are inflating me into thinking I need this weight to protect myself, stop using it as a shield.
Being comfortable with who I am means allowing that to shine through. I don't need to hide behind a bigger version of myself so that when I am rejected I can use it as an excuse. I want to allow closeness to happen. Hug, cuddle and be fully available to the people I love.

New affirmation: I feel safe.

Comments

  1. I get it. After years of not being skinny enough, not being smart enough, just not being good enough, I told my husband, "If I gain enough weight, no one will bother to hurt me anymore". So I gained a lot of weight, people wrote me off and I didn't have to live up to any ones expectations. I still wasn't happy. I remember looking into the mirror and thinking, I am a skinny person in a fat person's body. How the hell did this happen? I am finally losing weight. I'm more independent because I now know I don't owe anybody anything, I love my life, my children, my grandchildren. Funny as it sounds, I love ...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How quick are you gonna get up?

So I'm running tonight - and it's going fairly well until I look down at my shadow and it resembles a bouncing cadillac with a biiiiiiiig trunk. Ba-ba-ba-boing goes my cadill-ass. At first I thought I was mistaken, that isn't my shadow...or at least it's exaggerating the gravity of the situation here. Basically, I had a decision to make, feel sorry for my big trunk or get motivated. Every time I wanted to stop and walk, I just checked in with my shadow and it was on like donkey kong (do people still say that?). Thank goodness I had my headphones on, because in between songs all I could hear was some awful panting that sounding like an animal being sacrificed. I pretended it wasn't me and kept rhythmically running to some old Mariah Carey songs. So, I realized thinking of all the things I am thankful for would help me keep my mind off of the large wall I was about to hit, metaphorically speaking. At first I was thankful for my feet, my shoes that are so comfy, runni

Forgive-mess...

This blog has brought up a lot of emotion for me and I had to take some time to work through it. During a very intense conversation with Danny, I came to realize that because I have always put other people first, I put myself last and I eat to recover. I eat because it is the only thing (I think) that I can control completely. By control I mean, whenever I want it, it's there. Whatever I want I can have. I can make bad decisions and beat myself up over it as much as I want. I have been abusing myself with food. This is a really hard realization to come to and once I realized it I almost went further into weight debt. I sunk a little deeper, just enough to scare myself. I saw some pictures of myself from a birthday party and didn't even recognize myself. I know that people say this all the time just before they start making change and I can see why now. I have been using it to be hurtful to myself. Mask what's really going on, and almost wear a disguise. Another way to look

The adventures of naked face Grace!!

I'm getting use to not wearing makeup on a day to day basis now but to go to a special event where I didn't know many people - of all women - was a total new leap outside my comfort zone. I was really nervous. To add insult to what I felt was injury, my armpits were sweating so much I'm pretty sure my shirt was soaked. I then had to realize that sweat is natural and normal and that this too was "no big deal". Wow did I feel naked, exposed and vulnerable. I had to dig sooooo deep for confidence. I was really surprised by my feelings of inferiority. No one was making me feel this way, no one was treating me like I was treating myself. I had built up these standards and it was time to tear them down. At first I wanted to tell people that I was not wearing makeup on purpose. In the very least I wanted to make up excuses for myself like "Gosh! I am just so tired!" But I wasn't tired at all so why would I tell a story that wasn't true? I pulled o