Skip to main content

How to hate laundry less.

Here's a little tale about laundry.
Well really it's not about laundry at all. It's about things becoming overwhelming.
I fucking hate laundry. Yeah I swore, I hate it that much.
I leave it and leave it and leave it...until I can't find matching socks. I hate it when socks don't match. Go figure...I would rather wear dirty underwear than go out with a mismatched pair of socks.
The things I reveal on this blog, I know!
So here's the thing. I let the laundry get so big that the table is completely boiling over with the splayed out arms and legs of clean wrinkly shirts and pants - basically the victims of a desperate state of helplessness wanting so badly to be folded and put away.
So today I decided to try something a little different.

Come along...

I decided to clear off my bed and then just transfer a wee bit at a time - all I could comfortably carry without trying to carry so much that things dropped to the floor as I walked. This reminded me of trying to carry all the grocery bags in nearly breaking your fingers and arms off in order to save yourself a trip? Uh huh....
So I took little piles. I dropped them on my bed and I turned on some stand up comedy and began to fold. All I said to myself was - just fold this little amount. Totally achievable and I didn't feel pressured to get more done than I a) wanted to or b) could possibly do.

Within 3-5 mins that small pile was gone so I went back for another one. I got into a rhythm and it was now up to me, it was my choice. Once I completed the task I decided to do, I got to choose - no one, (not even me) was forcing this upon me. It was a little piece of laundry freedom and we all know what laundry prison is like...don't drop the soap! (What?!?)

So I could go into how symbolic this was for me in my life, but this time (just this one time) I will spare you and let you fill in the blanks about how we do this with almost everything - put it off, let it build, mutate it into something scary and then not only does it seem like a bigger huger job than it is...it actually is.

So here are my tips for enjoying (as much has humanly possible) doing laundry or even any type of cleaning because quite frankly cleaning is the bane of my existence and typically my house looks like a designer warehouse sale after 100 women have been in it.

Steps:
1. UnExpected - Crush, stomp or burn your HUGE expectations. When you set out to do laundry don't say to yourself "I'm going to do alllll the laundry in this whole universe and then I'm going to fold it and put it away in it's rightful place and then my family will come home and parade me over their heads on a chair like it's a bar-mitzvah.

2. Break it Down - for example, just focus on one load. Decide what you need most ie. underwear, socks, pants for work - start there and stop there for now. Next part, fold, next part put away. Thinking of it separately as individual tasks a) wash b) dry c) take form dryer to surface d) fold on surface e) put away. This way it becomes bite size instead of just eating the whole damn steak in one bite. No one wants to do that, gross.
*I often think, I can't get started because I don't have enough hours to get it all completed. 15 minutes is enough time to do something! As a mother, I don't always have 5 hours of uninterrupted time so I need to let go of the huge house makeover I keep fantasizing (that's not the right word) about. If you add up 10 + 10 + 10 = 30 minutes, and most things just have to be done in parts because LIFE HAPPENS! On my way out the door today, I folded 5 towels before I ran down the stairs. It felt good because I at least started it!

3. Compromise Combo - Put on some nice music and or a funny movie that doesn't require full attention but something to keep the "I don't want to be doing this, I'd rather be napping on this bed than folding shit" chatter to a lull in your head. So make a deal with your task, - I will do you chore, but I need to have something nice in my ears.

4. Check in and Congratulate - small accomplishments are accomplishments too. A solitary self-high five is reasonable at this point. You did it, and you know what that's better than? Wearing unmatching socks. * Shudder

5. What's that shiny thing? If you find yourself distracted - allow a minute for that distraction to breath. Check your phone/fb or whatever, and then regroup. I always think that if I lose momentum I might as well quit. That is an old belief I need to throw out because it doesn't serve me. You can't always get it ALL done, so if you get some done - well friggen done!

6. Use a life line! - Phone a friend, or your mom and have a chat while you fold, get the headset out and keep your mouth and hands moving simultaneously! My friend always says "Call me if you need someone to keep you company while you clean!" I don't always want/need help, but company takes the tartness out of anything.

Really there are so many things we would rather do than laundry, but fresh clean clothes, cleanly wearing your favourite underwear multiple times in a week towels and sheets are a nice treat too. If you can find your reason - grab it and make it your driving force. For me, it's matching socks, fresh towels and soft sweaters!

Now that I have written this, I will get back to my mountain of laundry!
Happy folding!


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How quick are you gonna get up?

So I'm running tonight - and it's going fairly well until I look down at my shadow and it resembles a bouncing cadillac with a biiiiiiiig trunk. Ba-ba-ba-boing goes my cadill-ass. At first I thought I was mistaken, that isn't my shadow...or at least it's exaggerating the gravity of the situation here. Basically, I had a decision to make, feel sorry for my big trunk or get motivated. Every time I wanted to stop and walk, I just checked in with my shadow and it was on like donkey kong (do people still say that?). Thank goodness I had my headphones on, because in between songs all I could hear was some awful panting that sounding like an animal being sacrificed. I pretended it wasn't me and kept rhythmically running to some old Mariah Carey songs. So, I realized thinking of all the things I am thankful for would help me keep my mind off of the large wall I was about to hit, metaphorically speaking. At first I was thankful for my feet, my shoes that are so comfy, runni

Forgive-mess...

This blog has brought up a lot of emotion for me and I had to take some time to work through it. During a very intense conversation with Danny, I came to realize that because I have always put other people first, I put myself last and I eat to recover. I eat because it is the only thing (I think) that I can control completely. By control I mean, whenever I want it, it's there. Whatever I want I can have. I can make bad decisions and beat myself up over it as much as I want. I have been abusing myself with food. This is a really hard realization to come to and once I realized it I almost went further into weight debt. I sunk a little deeper, just enough to scare myself. I saw some pictures of myself from a birthday party and didn't even recognize myself. I know that people say this all the time just before they start making change and I can see why now. I have been using it to be hurtful to myself. Mask what's really going on, and almost wear a disguise. Another way to look

The adventures of naked face Grace!!

I'm getting use to not wearing makeup on a day to day basis now but to go to a special event where I didn't know many people - of all women - was a total new leap outside my comfort zone. I was really nervous. To add insult to what I felt was injury, my armpits were sweating so much I'm pretty sure my shirt was soaked. I then had to realize that sweat is natural and normal and that this too was "no big deal". Wow did I feel naked, exposed and vulnerable. I had to dig sooooo deep for confidence. I was really surprised by my feelings of inferiority. No one was making me feel this way, no one was treating me like I was treating myself. I had built up these standards and it was time to tear them down. At first I wanted to tell people that I was not wearing makeup on purpose. In the very least I wanted to make up excuses for myself like "Gosh! I am just so tired!" But I wasn't tired at all so why would I tell a story that wasn't true? I pulled o