Skip to main content

Are you in it?

The art of writing honestly, I mean really really honestly - no fluff - is one steep steep task. How can you let all your thoughts and feelings unfold bare-nakedly for all to see? How do we 'be' and also try to remember and decipher at the same time?

On a full time basis, I find myself scrolling through my thoughts and emotions searching for those ones that are suitable or even borderline suitable to share. Do the thoughts flow? Can people read them as I would have said them aloud? Sharing inner thoughts with others, written or aloud, is a tall order. It's vulnerable. So many aspects, so much potential confusion and complexity all in one seemingly simple task.
No, not simple at all.
Sometimes when I am trying to make my thoughts makes sense, I can feel um...unauthentic. I catch myself making up the experience as I go instead of just well...experiencing it! Even when I was at yoga yesterday I caught myself writing blogs in my mind. Trying to be SO present so that I could remember everything to retell it, and suddenly I found myself narrating my own experience.
What an interesting state of awareness. It was like being in that movie with Will Ferrell where his life was actually a story being written by an author - Stranger than Fiction. I suppose I was forcing myself to be so present that I ended up not really be present at all.

When I sit down to write, I get angry with myself. The pressure to perform (or to just make sense) freezes me up and I lose sight of the realness that I wanted to recite. I forget about all the wee moments in between the big "Aha!" moments. Like at yoga when I was just trying to remember to breath or attempting to stealthily pull up my pants after my belly fat caused the top to roll down like those socks from the early 90's. Sometimes the unnoticed habitual thought is a wish, like -  "I wish was wearing pyjamas and an old t-shirt of Danny's, instead of my tight magic-ass-pants"...followed by "but then I wouldn't really fit in with all the other yogis now would I?"...Then I realize I have made up this unspoken yoga-apparel-etiquette rule, that even if I have no friggen idea what vinyasa is, my clothes need to look like they do.

Beyond all the noticing and mindfulness is the underlying and constant pulling downward of the ego. The mean voice in there telling you "it's too hard" or "you aren't good enough". Although, it is often an undetectable thought just hovering below consciousness. It is more of a longing to look like that girl over there, be better than we currently are or to plain old just look like someone who knows what the heck they are doing. We forget that in order to get where those people are, there was a long journey of showing up, and working hard but mostly just showing up and not talking themselves out of being there. Isn't that what being present is really all about? Showing the heck up? Celebrating all the hard work it took you to get to just where you are right at this very second? Just being able to yell out "present!" when the metaphorical teacher of life yells out your name? To just say - I'm here.

Accepting where you are is one of the biggest challenges. Allowing the natural thoughts to flow without judgement and then decide whether they serve you or not is no simple task. Author, Esther Hicks, whose audio book I listen to has a mantra "I am where I am. I am where I am and that's ok."
We are conditioned to be in a constant state of forward motion, sometimes it's ok to just be where you are. Then once we accept where we are, if we would like we can look around and what is serving us in that place and what may not be.

While I am writing, just like when I am at yoga, I am just trying to 'be in it'. Observe, listen, feel and question. We really get so busy worrying, predicting, anticipating that we don't really get to be in those moments. Our thoughts are a buffet of choices to which we have the power to say "yes I like that" or "no I don't like that". So on this Monday afternoon, as I sit anxiously (and even a bit angrily) waiting for my work lap top to dry out from the tea I spilt on it - I am where I am, and that's ok.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How quick are you gonna get up?

So I'm running tonight - and it's going fairly well until I look down at my shadow and it resembles a bouncing cadillac with a biiiiiiiig trunk. Ba-ba-ba-boing goes my cadill-ass. At first I thought I was mistaken, that isn't my shadow...or at least it's exaggerating the gravity of the situation here. Basically, I had a decision to make, feel sorry for my big trunk or get motivated. Every time I wanted to stop and walk, I just checked in with my shadow and it was on like donkey kong (do people still say that?). Thank goodness I had my headphones on, because in between songs all I could hear was some awful panting that sounding like an animal being sacrificed. I pretended it wasn't me and kept rhythmically running to some old Mariah Carey songs. So, I realized thinking of all the things I am thankful for would help me keep my mind off of the large wall I was about to hit, metaphorically speaking. At first I was thankful for my feet, my shoes that are so comfy, runni

Forgive-mess...

This blog has brought up a lot of emotion for me and I had to take some time to work through it. During a very intense conversation with Danny, I came to realize that because I have always put other people first, I put myself last and I eat to recover. I eat because it is the only thing (I think) that I can control completely. By control I mean, whenever I want it, it's there. Whatever I want I can have. I can make bad decisions and beat myself up over it as much as I want. I have been abusing myself with food. This is a really hard realization to come to and once I realized it I almost went further into weight debt. I sunk a little deeper, just enough to scare myself. I saw some pictures of myself from a birthday party and didn't even recognize myself. I know that people say this all the time just before they start making change and I can see why now. I have been using it to be hurtful to myself. Mask what's really going on, and almost wear a disguise. Another way to look

The adventures of naked face Grace!!

I'm getting use to not wearing makeup on a day to day basis now but to go to a special event where I didn't know many people - of all women - was a total new leap outside my comfort zone. I was really nervous. To add insult to what I felt was injury, my armpits were sweating so much I'm pretty sure my shirt was soaked. I then had to realize that sweat is natural and normal and that this too was "no big deal". Wow did I feel naked, exposed and vulnerable. I had to dig sooooo deep for confidence. I was really surprised by my feelings of inferiority. No one was making me feel this way, no one was treating me like I was treating myself. I had built up these standards and it was time to tear them down. At first I wanted to tell people that I was not wearing makeup on purpose. In the very least I wanted to make up excuses for myself like "Gosh! I am just so tired!" But I wasn't tired at all so why would I tell a story that wasn't true? I pulled o