Skip to main content

Chakrasana aka Wheel aka PROGRESS.

I have come to realize that I have unreasonable expectations of progress.
If you are anything at all like me in this regard, you might also have a long list of things you just aren't good at.
I have this story that replays in my head, and I even say it out loud to other people. It goes something like "I'm just not good at ______ . I never have been and I doubt I ever will be." It gives me permission to suck.

I use to think that accepting that I sucked at something was the best path to self-acceptance. The sooner I recognized that some people are good at some things and some people just aren't, the better.
I have told myself for a long time that I am not good at many things. Here is a list of a few things but this list is not limited to:
keeping a clean house
Cooking/Baking
Yoga
Staying committed to things
Following a goal all the way through.
Losing weight (and keeping it off)
Staying calm

Let me just be clear that self-acceptance is not congruent with "I suck", in any way shape or form. Accepting that I need improvement and that I am worth the effort so that I can enjoy something more - is getting warmer :)

The other day when I was driving in the car with Danny I looked over at him and said "You are the longest thing I have ever done." Then I winked at him ;)
But seriously, he is the longest commitment I have had in my life thus far. This was an especially rewarding realization because it's a commitment that hasn't been easy.
So I crossed one of those things "I suck at" off the list. I can stay committed to things, I just never took the time to notice that sometimes "things" are people, and that counts.
So I realized that maybe the rest of those things on my list might not be true either...

It's been quite a journey for me, as some of you know through reading my blog, to come to this new sense of awareness where I am the observer instead of the reactor. Where I can stop and listen to the thoughts/beliefs and take a moment to allow them in in full force, then feel them and decide what to do with them.
Does this thought or belief serve me? Is it working for me? You mean I get to choose? Ya don't say...

The art of allowing has been a big part of this process. I've been so focused on stopping the thoughts from coming that I couldn't really deal with them because there was so much resistance standing in the way of clarity.

My coach, Gillian Rowinski (a gem of a human being) asks me allll the time when I get going into my "stories"  - something I believe has happened to me (poor me) "How is that working for you?"
It always stops me dead in my tracks. The answer is of course rhetorical and beyond any shadow of a  doubt - It's not working for me. Whatever the excuse/complaint/illusion/BS may be, it certainly does not serve me and I know it in the depths of my heart. What this questioning process does is it stops the story from gaining another chapter.

A lot of crap has been coming up for me and I have been pausing to allow it a moment to breath in it's foulness so that I can feel the intrusion in all it's gross ass glory. Yoga has certainly been a vehicle for this.
My yoga journey started - for real, on September 31st. It's been a little over a month of a commitment that started out at 2 days a week growing to more like 5-6. I am amazed at how I could go from someone who could barely get downward facing dog down (or moving through chaturanga) to someone who touched the floor with my hand in dancer's pose, and in the same class got up into wheel! (I'm so excited!) I honestly thought it would NEVER happen.
My dear friend Angela made an interesting comment the other day that as the body shows us that it can move beyond our limitations, we realize that our mind can too. She then said "Holla!" which made the comments level of awesomeness increase 10 fold.

Little side story:
Today I needed to clean the kitchen after we ate and I heard the story of how I suck at cleaning sneaking in. It's a slippery sucker. Comes at me in disguise, like a wolf in sheep's clothing. Our self-sabotage doesn't ever show up in plain day light. It's slinks around trying to not be noticed for what it is. It's an excuse, a lie or even negative feelings towards others to distract us from our truth. The saboteur doesn't stand up and say  "Um excuse me, Grace? Yes well, I am going to tell you a lie and you are going to believe it and then not progress on this thing that is keeping you down." It's more like "You shouldn't be cleaning this mess, you cooked dinner! It's soooooo hard to clean. It never ends! It's not fun. Life should be fun. If you give in a clean you are just playing into the stereotypical female role that you never wanted."
WHAT?!?!?! What in God's name is that? A buncha bull, that's what.
Cleaning my house is a sign of self-respect. It makes life easier and more enjoyable when I can create nice space. It certainly isn't depriving me of fun, or me signing a contract to stay barefoot and pregnant forever!
The thought that progress has to be these GIANT steps is also self-sabotage. It sets the expectation so high so rapidly that when I fail and give up I can say "See!? It was too hard and you do suck."

When I recognize that small improvements still qualify as progress and I take a moment to do a little victory dance - I encourage myself to keep on keepin' on. Booya.
I don't know what my vision of "good at something" looks like just yet but here's my wheel, it's not perfect, no it's not - it's progress!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How quick are you gonna get up?

So I'm running tonight - and it's going fairly well until I look down at my shadow and it resembles a bouncing cadillac with a biiiiiiiig trunk. Ba-ba-ba-boing goes my cadill-ass. At first I thought I was mistaken, that isn't my shadow...or at least it's exaggerating the gravity of the situation here. Basically, I had a decision to make, feel sorry for my big trunk or get motivated. Every time I wanted to stop and walk, I just checked in with my shadow and it was on like donkey kong (do people still say that?). Thank goodness I had my headphones on, because in between songs all I could hear was some awful panting that sounding like an animal being sacrificed. I pretended it wasn't me and kept rhythmically running to some old Mariah Carey songs. So, I realized thinking of all the things I am thankful for would help me keep my mind off of the large wall I was about to hit, metaphorically speaking. At first I was thankful for my feet, my shoes that are so comfy, runni

Forgive-mess...

This blog has brought up a lot of emotion for me and I had to take some time to work through it. During a very intense conversation with Danny, I came to realize that because I have always put other people first, I put myself last and I eat to recover. I eat because it is the only thing (I think) that I can control completely. By control I mean, whenever I want it, it's there. Whatever I want I can have. I can make bad decisions and beat myself up over it as much as I want. I have been abusing myself with food. This is a really hard realization to come to and once I realized it I almost went further into weight debt. I sunk a little deeper, just enough to scare myself. I saw some pictures of myself from a birthday party and didn't even recognize myself. I know that people say this all the time just before they start making change and I can see why now. I have been using it to be hurtful to myself. Mask what's really going on, and almost wear a disguise. Another way to look

The adventures of naked face Grace!!

I'm getting use to not wearing makeup on a day to day basis now but to go to a special event where I didn't know many people - of all women - was a total new leap outside my comfort zone. I was really nervous. To add insult to what I felt was injury, my armpits were sweating so much I'm pretty sure my shirt was soaked. I then had to realize that sweat is natural and normal and that this too was "no big deal". Wow did I feel naked, exposed and vulnerable. I had to dig sooooo deep for confidence. I was really surprised by my feelings of inferiority. No one was making me feel this way, no one was treating me like I was treating myself. I had built up these standards and it was time to tear them down. At first I wanted to tell people that I was not wearing makeup on purpose. In the very least I wanted to make up excuses for myself like "Gosh! I am just so tired!" But I wasn't tired at all so why would I tell a story that wasn't true? I pulled o