Skip to main content

Forgive-mess...

This blog has brought up a lot of emotion for me and I had to take some time to work through it. During a very intense conversation with Danny, I came to realize that because I have always put other people first, I put myself last and I eat to recover. I eat because it is the only thing (I think) that I can control completely. By control I mean, whenever I want it, it's there. Whatever I want I can have. I can make bad decisions and beat myself up over it as much as I want. I have been abusing myself with food.
This is a really hard realization to come to and once I realized it I almost went further into weight debt. I sunk a little deeper, just enough to scare myself. I saw some pictures of myself from a birthday party and didn't even recognize myself.
I know that people say this all the time just before they start making change and I can see why now. I have been using it to be hurtful to myself. Mask what's really going on, and almost wear a disguise. Another way to look at it is like a suit of added protection, I can't be hurt if I can just eat my emotions. I am hiding behind a bigger version of me.
This is pretty vulnerable to be writing in a blog and I needed to decide if it was what I wanted to share with everyone but after much thought I decided that I couldn't continue on my journey (with all of you) if I didn't take this big giant leap into honesty. I am ready to make myself a priority. Not just for the sake of looking good, or having a healthy body but because I can't punish myself for old beliefs anymore. There are so many vices, and they look different for everyone. Some people may identify with what I am saying directly - with food. Others may have alcohol, drug, smoking, shopping/spending, coffee, treats (of any sort) but all in all it's some snowball effect of an outside stimulus that is causing the bigger picture to deteriorate. All the exercise and good eating in the world can't change how I really feel about myself, and I don't believe change will come on the outside until it's realized and established on the inside. Call it cliche but there is a reason it's said over and over again.
I talked about eating being a short term gratification, but I don't even think it's that. It's a short term mean ass thing to do to oneself. I do it mostly when I am angry or feeling a loss of control. I put a lot of pressure on myself to be a good friend, mother, partner, financial advisor, daughter, sister. I want to speak my truth and stand up for what I believe in but I also think that when I do that I am making others feel bad/uncomfortable so I get mad at myself. It's a constant back and forth and it leaves me exhausted and empty. I love so deeply and care so passionately that at times I forget to nourish numero uno. Because of course, we are taught that that is selfish.
*I know that I am veering off the standard blog here (again) - normally I try to make jokes while eluding to the difficulty of loving our bodies, but the truth over the last two weeks has been weighing on me and I know that I want to share my word with the world - so here it is! If I can reach out to only one person and that person reach back and says "I am right there with you", then I have made a connection and a difference. Maybe that one person will reach out to the next and someday my grandchildren will read about how their grandmother was so brutally honest that she was able to help women/people see their worth.

Change isn't easy, but it's so very important and "faith is knowing in advance what will make sense in reverse". All this work I am doing on myself right now has been like being dragged behind a car some days but I know that I will make it out the other side with a great deal of love and understanding - not to mention forgiveness. I have not yet learned how to forgive myself fully, and I want to take a moment to just say that I now forgive myself for the self-abuse. Tomorrow is a new day. I am ready.

Comments

  1. I am right there with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am right there with you too, but you are a few steps ahead of me...I have been through the thick of it and am still trying to find my light at the end of the tunnel. You give me inspiration and motivation to find it though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm right there with you. As I sit at my desk, covered in crumbs, stressing over workloads, relationships, responsibilities, body issues and success over a raspberry danish; I'm right here with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grace, I identify with this so closely!
    I've been thinking of my weight problems lately, and I really think it has something to do, at least in part, with the change of life becoming a mother brings. I remember the first time I had an emotional breakdown after having Lucy (there have been many in the last 2 years!). I was so shocked that all of a sudden I felt resentment towards this little girl who I would literally run in front of oncoming traffic for! It was because I was losing sight of myself. I think there is a balance to be learned, between motherhood and me-hood, if that makes sense. Not to mention wife-hood... a whole other topic! Lol... I'm still learning. Thanks for your honesty!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How quick are you gonna get up?

So I'm running tonight - and it's going fairly well until I look down at my shadow and it resembles a bouncing cadillac with a biiiiiiiig trunk. Ba-ba-ba-boing goes my cadill-ass. At first I thought I was mistaken, that isn't my shadow...or at least it's exaggerating the gravity of the situation here. Basically, I had a decision to make, feel sorry for my big trunk or get motivated. Every time I wanted to stop and walk, I just checked in with my shadow and it was on like donkey kong (do people still say that?). Thank goodness I had my headphones on, because in between songs all I could hear was some awful panting that sounding like an animal being sacrificed. I pretended it wasn't me and kept rhythmically running to some old Mariah Carey songs. So, I realized thinking of all the things I am thankful for would help me keep my mind off of the large wall I was about to hit, metaphorically speaking. At first I was thankful for my feet, my shoes that are so comfy, runni

The adventures of naked face Grace!!

I'm getting use to not wearing makeup on a day to day basis now but to go to a special event where I didn't know many people - of all women - was a total new leap outside my comfort zone. I was really nervous. To add insult to what I felt was injury, my armpits were sweating so much I'm pretty sure my shirt was soaked. I then had to realize that sweat is natural and normal and that this too was "no big deal". Wow did I feel naked, exposed and vulnerable. I had to dig sooooo deep for confidence. I was really surprised by my feelings of inferiority. No one was making me feel this way, no one was treating me like I was treating myself. I had built up these standards and it was time to tear them down. At first I wanted to tell people that I was not wearing makeup on purpose. In the very least I wanted to make up excuses for myself like "Gosh! I am just so tired!" But I wasn't tired at all so why would I tell a story that wasn't true? I pulled o